Tuesday 8 March 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Dynamic Duos


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish which I am taking part in. This week’s Top Ten is Top Ten Dynamic Duos. 

These are books who have Best Friends, Partners in crime, powerful couples, etc. that you just can't forget about.

Dirk Pitt & Al Giordino - Dirk Pitt Novels by Clive Cussler
The comical banter between Dirk Pitt & Al Giordino is also part of what makes these books enjoyable. But also, they are very skilled people who trust each other hugely.

Nigel Sheldon and Ozzie Isaacs - Commonwealth Saga Novels by Peter F. Hamilton
These two characters managed to discover wormhole technology and create a long lasting friendship even though they were like chalk and cheese. But beyond that, they showed throughout the books that they cared about humanity and worked hard to ensure that humanity would survive the various trials and tribulations thrown at them.

Frodo Baggins & Samwise Gamgee - Lord of The Rings Saga by J. R. R. Tolkien
Two innocent friends from a small village head out together to save the world, the recipe for epic novels everywhere. Their support and friendship with each other throughout their travels is an eye opener and leads to many comments about their sexuality and other such things!

Sherlock Holmes & Doctor Watson - Sherlock Holmes Novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
I think everyone knows about these two characters, Sherlock and Watson's assistance to the police force strike fear into criminals everywhere.

James T. Kirk & Mr Spock - Various Star Trek Novels
I could be cheating a little bit here but Kirk and Spock are present in a lot of novels as well as the TV show. The logic of Spock and the willpower of Kirk work superbly well together in solving the problems of the Federation.

Rincewind & Luggage - Discworld Novels by Terry Pratchett
I remember reading the Discworld novels as a young adult and always looked forward to the books that included Rincewind & Luggage. The idiotic antics of Rincewind and the rather violent but yet good natured luggage passed many hours with laughs.

Michael & Bubba - Final Friends Trilogy by Christopher Pike
My all time favourite book as a teenager and I loved this pair of friends. They were part of a gifted group at school, but besides their intellects they were so different from each other but yet they supported each other through everything. I found myself loving both of them hugely and was so happy that the two smart guys got the girls in the end!

Fred & George Weasley - Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
This pair are always up to no good with their mischievous escapades always the talk of Hogwarts!

Romeo & Juliet - Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare 
I am not sure how you could comment on any duo out their in the literary world without mentioning this infamous couple.

Harry Dresden and "Bob" - Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
I will admit here that I have so far only read the first novel in the Dresden Files collection  but the banter between Harry and "Bob" can at times be superb. 

I have to admit that I found it difficult to think up a list here, I can think of loads of groups or individuals but specific duos wasn't so easy. Let me hear if any of you have similar duos to mine or if you can think up so other good examples. 

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, great list - nice to see Rincewind and the Luggage on somebody eles's list!

    Check out my Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, someone else who included Dirk and Al! I love those two. Rincewind and the Luggage is a great addition, and who doesn't love Fred and George?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, have only read the first Dresden book but I love Harry and "Bob"!!

    Jess @ Gone with the Words

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a few overlaps, and Fred and George are definitely a winning combo, though I forgot to put them in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting choices, pls come by and see mine.

    ReplyDelete