Thursday 30 May 2013

Bioshock Infinite: Mind in Revolt - Joe Fielder & Ken Levine



Title: Bioshock Infinite - Mind in Revolt
Author: Joe Fielder & Ken Levine
Genre: Sci-Fi
Published: 2013
Formats: Ebook

Available at:
Amazon
Amazon UK

Review:
I really enjoyed playing Bioshock Infinity on my PC and upon completing it I realised that I wanted to know more about the world in which it was set. Therefore, when I noticed that the short story, “Mind in Revolt” was going to be made available I jumped at the chance to pick it up and further immerse myself in the world of Columbia.

The basic premise of the story is that it helps expand upon the conflict witnessed within the game between two factions known as the Founders and the Vox Populi. The story takes place prior to the events of the game and is told in the form of an audio transcript between a doctor and his patient/prisoner, the leader of the Vox Populi, Daisy Fitzroy.

Whilst I found this to be an interesting look at Daisy Fitzroy herself, it didn’t really do that much to enhance the readers knowledge of who she actually was. Even with the rather clever format and reasonable writing the short length and rather weak characters limited what could be accomplished. This meant that the entire thing felt like a bit of let-down and I can’t see it working as a hook to get someone interested in playing the game which is a shame.

Overall, whilst I did appreciate the journey back into the world of Columbia, it just didn’t capture my interest of imagination as much as I hoped it would. Personally, it felt to me that the entire story was just a collection of voxophone recordings that they had decided to omit from the game. To be honest, I find it hard to recommend the book on its own merits and it is probably something that only hardened Bioshock fans would want to read.

0 comments:

Post a Comment