Saturday 21 May 2011

The Trip: A True Karmal Korn Adventure - Jeffrey Koconis



Title: The Trip - A True Karmal Korn Adventure
Author: Jeffrey Koconis
Genre: Biography
Published: 2011
Formats: Ebook

Available at:
Amazon
Amazon UK
Barnes & Nobel
Smashwords

"The Trip - A True Karmal Korn Adventure" is a true story set in the early seventies about two teenagers who decide to hitchhike from the US heartlands to California so that they can experience more of the hippie phenomenon that they have embraced. The story follows them as they encounter both good natured kindness and harsh hatred from a variety of people and establishments along their travels.

As a child of the 80's I have to admit that I know very little about the seventies and hippie culture beyond what I have seen on the television and in movies so I went into this book not really knowing what I would find. What I did find was a short story showing a snapshot of the era as seen by the two teenagers that I thoroughly enjoyed. Seeing the differences between those who were just helpful and kind people, to those who understood the hippie mantra and finally to those who didn't want "their kind" around was eye opening. I can actually imagine that some of this treatment is probably similar to how many differing groups of people can be treated today.

Beyond some of the insight into society, the story also showed the enthusiasm of youth and the journey into adulthood in a true coming of age style that could probably apply to many other eras beyond just the seventies. I think people will enjoy this story no matter what generation they belong to, although they may enjoy it for slightly different reasons.

Overall, I felt that the story was told in a compelling manner with instances of kindness and humour being blended cleverly with fear and hatred. I actually wish that their journey had gone on longer as the story kept me entertained throughout, but I guess all journeys have to end and the book length did give the story a good punch. Basically, anyone after a quick and enjoyable true life adventure that shows you both the optimism of youth and the varied attitudes of society should pick this book up and give it a whirl.

0 comments:

Post a Comment