Saturday 16 June 2018

The Stainless Steel Rat for President (The Stainless Steel Rat Book 5) - Harry Harrison



Title: The Stainless Steel Rat for President (The Stainless Steel Rat Book 5)
Author: Harry Harrison
Genre: Science-Fiction
Published: 1982
Formats: Hardback/Paperback/Ebook

Available at:
Amazon
Amazon UK

Review:
“The Stainless Steel Rat for President” is the fifth instalment in Harry Harrison’s amusing and at times quite ridiculous science-fiction series entitled “The Stainless Steel Rat”. This entertaining series has gotten more and more ridiculous and I can't think of anything more ridiculous that Slippery Jim DiGriz fighting for democracy! The plot follows Jim as he undertakes a mission to liberate a backward planet from the clutches of a dictator. Of course, Jim is willing to lie, cheat and steal in order to bring democracy and freedom to the world.

Harrison's writing is as sharp and witty as always and I found the satirical take on Democracy and Dictatorship to be rather amusing. This is probably because I am a bit of a political animal myself but I think this should also appeal to those of you out there who really do think politics is corrupt! Unfortunately, I still found myself becoming a little bit bored as Harrison utilised the same predictable plot-lines we have already seen many times before. I suppose as this is the fifth book in the series I shouldn't be surprised but it would be nice to see Harrison try and mix things up a bit.

The novel is of course still enjoyable and anyone who has read the previous novels in the series will be entertained but I find myself feeling like I should take more of a gap between each book now rather than wanting to jump straight into the next. This isn't really an issue as I have so many books to read but it does show that there is a little bit of series fatigue creeping in.

0 comments:

Post a Comment