Sunday 21 October 2018

LZR-1143: Within - Bryan James



Title: LZR-1143: Within
Author: Bryan James
Genre: Horror
Published: 2012
Formats: Ebook

Available at:
Amazon
Amazon UK

Review:
LZR-1143: Within is a Novella which introduces the reader to the LZR-1143 series of zombie novels which were written by Bryan James. It follows a group of people who are trapped in their place of employment as society collapses around them. This novella is quite short and is quite clearly published as a way to entice readers into delving into the full series. The issue I have is that it did not work for me at all and I can't say I have any burning desire to go and buy the rest of the novels.

Don't get me wrong the novella has some good points, as Bryan James does create some believable characters and the scene setting elements were well constructed. It just took too long to get into the action and whilst the characters were believable, they were lacking in depth. If the novella had been lacking in character depth but quicker into the action elements or vice versa then it may have worked better for me.

The biggest issue though is in the lack of originality, there is nothing here which hasn't been covered in many other zombie stories before. I appreciate that it gets harder to find something new in this sub-genre but without it I don't have a reason to read this over any of the other books out there. However, the novella is available for free on Amazon so there is no harm in giving it a go and perhaps you may find something there which I missed and decide to pick up the other stories.

0 comments:

Post a Comment