Thursday 21 April 2011

Unsavory Delicacies - Russell Brooks



Title: Unsavory Delicacies
Author: Russell Brooks
Genre: Thriller
Published: 2011
Formats: Ebook

Available at:
Amazon
Amazon UK
Barnes & Nobel
Smashwords


Unsavory Delicacies is a collection of three short stories written by Russell Brooks which probably best fit into the Thriller/Suspense genre. All three of the stories are high quality and revolve around some sort of "revenge" act. Another slight connecting line is that they all involve restaurants and food which was quite a nice little quirk.

These three short stories are all fast-paced and concisely written. There is no padding here, they are punchy and get straight to the point with some fun and entertaining storylines.

In regards to the stories themselves, two of them feature the character from Brooks' previous book "Pandora's Succession". Whilst you don't need to have read that book to follow them, I suspect these two stories will mean a lot more to someone who has read it. The other story in the collection called “To the Last Bite” came with a caveat from the author that I should make sure I didn't eat whilst reading it. I will pass that piece of advice onto all of you as well, what happens in the story wouldn't have bothered me if I was eating but I suspect I am just a sicko.

My one disappointment is that it was all a little too short and was over too quickly. Someone could easily finish the three stories during a half hour commute to work on the bus. I just feel that either the stories could have been that little bit longer or a few more could have been added to the collection. I basically wanted more, it felt like an appetiser without the main course.

In the end though I think this collection is a good introduction to the writings of Russell Brooks and I plan to make sure I now read his first novel, "Pandora's Succession". If you want to try a new author and are looking for a quick and enjoyable read then give this collection a try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment